Hey there, fellow baseball mom enthusiasts! If you’re like me, you see delicious, decorated cookies on Pinterest or in a magazine and think, I should make those sometime. And then life gets in the way and you never do. But today I have a special treat for you: a mouthwatering, tried-and-true recipe for baseball cookies that you can bake in an afternoon! Get ready to create a delicious postgame treat that’s perfect for throwing in your sports mom bag and hitting the road!
In this article, I’m thrilled to share some creative baseball cookie ideas that will make you the snack super mom of the dugout or any party. From classic baseball-shaped cookies to personalized jerseys, we’ve got all the bases covered. I mean- I can’t stop with all the baseball puns! So, roll up your sleeves, preheat the oven, and let’s dive into the sweet world of baseball cookies.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Services LLC Associate and Awin affiliate, I may earn a small commission for any purchases made through affiliate links. You can read my full disclaimer and disclosure statement here.
Pin this for later…
Baseball Sugar Cookie Recipe: A Home Run in Taste
More puns- I just can’t help myself! But enough now. Before we get into the fun of decorating, let’s start with the foundation—a fantastic sugar cookie recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction. This recipe is tried-and-true, yielding cookies that are not only delicious but also perfect for shaping into baseballs, bats, and jerseys.
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted, room-temperature butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional, but flavorful!)
- Start by whisking together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Then, set this dry mixture aside while you work on the wet ingredients.
- In a separate, larger bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar until it’s smooth and creamy. You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for this step.
- Incorporate the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract (if you’re using it) into the butter-sugar mixture. Beat everything together until it’s well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix on low speed until just combined, being careful not to overmix; we want tender cookies, not tough ones!
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, place each onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper or baking mat, and roll each piece out to about ¼ thickness. Then, dust one of the flattened pieces of dough with flour, put some parchment paper on top, and place the second rolled-out dough on top of that. Finally, cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or for the best results, overnight. Chilling the dough makes it easier to roll out and cut into shapes.
- Once chilled, preheat your oven to 350°F and place parchment paper or silicone baking mats on baking sheets.
- Use your chosen cookie cutters to create baseball shapes, bats, jerseys, or any other shapes you prefer. Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting until you’ve used all the dough.
- Place the cut-out cookies onto your prepared baking sheets, leaving a bit of space between each one. Bake in the preheated oven for 9-12 minutes or until the edges just begin to turn golden. Keep a close eye on them to avoid overbaking.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
Adding a Baseball-Themed Twist to Classic Sugar Cookies
Now that we have our delicious sugar cookie base ready, let’s get to the good part- how to transform these cookies into baseball-themed delights that everyone will rave about.
Custom Jersey Cookies: A Personal Touch
Personalizing these cookies is the key to making them a hit with your athlete and his teammates. They will love it when they pick up a cookie with their team’s colors and jersey numbers on it!
To make them, start with our sugar cookie recipe, but instead of baseball shapes, cut the dough into rectangles. Then, use colored icing to replicate the jersey’s design, including the number and any team logos. Or find some adorable jersey cookie cutters like these and make jersey creation easy on yourself!
Bat and Ball Cookies: A Batter’s Delight
Maybe you’d prefer to stick with basic circles and rectangles for your cookie cut-outs. A simple bat and ball shape are perfect for you then.
When creating bat-shaped cookies, use a bat cookie cutter (or just make a rectangle and pinch one end until it resembles a bat) and decorate them with chocolate or colored icing. For the baseball-shaped cookies, use a round cookie cutter for the base. Then, with a smaller round cutter or a steady hand and a knife, carefully carve out the stitching pattern on top. You can even add small laces or even use edible food markers to draw on team logos.
Team Spirit Cookies: Beyond the Basics
See if you can hunt down cookie cutters in the shape of your team’s mascot or logo. If you can snag some, finish them off with your team’s colors and logos, and you’ll have a snack that looks like something out of a magazine!
Double Play: Combining Baseball and Cookies
For a unique twist, consider making baseball cookies that incorporate other beloved treats. For example, you could create cookie sandwiches filled with ice cream and shaped like baseballs. Who doesn’t like ice cream?
Or make cookie pops by inserting a stick into your baseball-shaped cookies before baking. You could even add a cake topper to the cookie like one of these and jazz up a basic sugar cookie or cake pop.
A Sweet Victory
In the world of baseball, cookies aren’t just snacks; they’re a symbol of team spirit and unity. Whether you opt for the classic baseball shape, personalized jerseys, or unique variations, these baseball cookies are bound to be a goodie bag, post-game or end-of-season hit.
So, grab your apron, get creative, and let your passion for the game shine through in your delicious creations. After all, there’s nothing quite like celebrating a victory with a scrumptious baseball cookie!