As a young baseball player, when you think of how to improve your game, perfecting your batting, throwing and catching quickly come to mind. But there’s one other aspect of the game that’s often overlooked: sliding. As a mom who has sat on countless bleachers, I’ve seen firsthand that sliding can be a real game-changer, helping players steal bases and make crucial plays in the field. But sliding definitely comes with risks. Fortunately, a sliding mitt for baseball not only enhances safety but also boosts performance on the field.
Below I’ll share my thoughts on baseball sliding mitts, their importance in youth travel baseball, and how your athlete could benefit from a pair.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Services LLC Associate and Awin affiliate, I may earn a small commission for any purchases made through affiliate links. You can read my full disclaimer and disclosure statement here.
Pin this for later…
The Art of Sliding in Baseball
Before we dive into the advantages of sliding mitts for baseball, let’s talk about the art of sliding in the game. Sliding is a fundamental skill in this sport, and it’s used in various game situations, from stealing bases to sliding safely into home plate. It requires precision, timing, and the right technique to avoid injuries and achieve your desired outcome.
Why Sliding Matters
Sliding isn’t just about adding flair to the game; it’s a strategic move that can change the course of a game. Here are some key reasons why sliding matters:
- Stealing Bases: Sliding allows players to steal bases, which is essential for advancing runners and putting pressure on the opposing team.
- Avoiding Tags: By sliding into bases, players can better evade tags by the opposing team, ensuring they remain safely on the base.
- Scoring Runs: Sliding into home plate is often the difference between scoring a run and being tagged out. It’s a skill that can turn the tide in a game.
- Outfield Plays: Outfielders use sliding techniques to make diving catches and save runs for their team.
Given the significance of sliding in baseball, it’s crucial for young players to master this skill. However, it’s equally important to ensure their safety while executing these moves.
The Role and Benefits of a Sliding Mitt for Baseball
Now, I know all too well that baseball drip and equipment (and all sports equipment) can be expensive. Cha-ching! So, I understand if you’re reading this and thinking, ‘if sliding mitts are not absolutely essential to the game, why should I buy them? Do they really make that much of a difference? Trust me, after one broken finger and another jammed one, I can assure you they do! In my opinion, here are the top benefits of sliding mitts.
1) Protection from Abrasions and Injuries
I’ll start with the obvious one. Sliding mitts provide protection. As you can probably imagine, sliding can be rough on a player’s hands and arms, leading to abrasions, bruises, and even sprains. This is why sliding mitts are designed with padding, as they can help cushion the impact and reduce the risk of injuries.
2) Improved Grip and Control
A sliding mitt for baseball isn’t just about protection; it also enhances a player’s grip and control during slides. The textured surface on the palm of the mitt provides better traction, helping players maintain their balance and execute slides more effectively.
3) Confidence Boost
Believe it or not, even just wearing sliding mitts can boost a player’s confidence when it comes to sliding. Whether they’ll be sliding into home or not, knowing that they have added protection and control can give young athletes the confidence to take calculated risks around the bases or in the field.
Sliding mitts are versatile and can be used for various sports that involve sliding, including softball and even some versions of kickball. This versatility means you’re making a practical investment that can benefit your child in multiple activities.
How to Wear Sliding Mitts
While pretty straightforward, you want to make sure your child buys a sliding mitt that fits his hand and fingers correctly; otherwise, the mitts won’t be effective and they won’t provide the proper protection.
First, your child should insert his hand into the mitt’s opening, extending the fingers inside. You want to make sure the mitt fits snugly but doesn’t restrict finger movement. Then, just secure the adjustable straps around the back of the hand and wrist to keep the mitt in place. Easy peasy!
Choosing the Right Sliding Mitt
When selecting sliding mitts, keep these factors in mind:
- Size and Fit: Maybe this goes without saying (or writing), but make sure the mitt fits snugly on your child’s hand. It should provide ample protection without being too bulky, allowing for natural movement.
- Padding: Look for mitts with adequate padding in key areas, such as the palm and fingers, to absorb impact effectively.
- Durability: Invest in mitts made from durable materials to withstand the rigors of sliding and extended use.
- Ease of Cleaning: Sliding mitts can get dirty quickly. So, be sure to choose mitts that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Brand Reputation: Opt for mitts from reputable brands known for producing quality sports equipment. As I mentioned in my article about travel sports, you get what you pay for with money and quality.
Empowering Young Athletes
In the world of youth sports, it’s essential to prioritize safety alongside skill development. Sliding mitts are no exception. They not only protect young players from injuries but also empower them to excel in sliding techniques.
If your child wants to improve his sliding game, consider adding a quality sliding mitt to his gear. It’s a small investment that can make a significant difference in his baseball experience.
Looking for sliding mitts for your future baseball star? Here are a few of my favorites!